Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

i should have gone to bed hours ago.. but alas, i did not. i did manage to get a ton of things done for this travel nursing gig (gobs of paper work, tests, records, etc to be turned in)... laundry washed, bills paid, lunch made and even managed to get in some quality time with the neighbor boys, which included sampling stacy's grandmother's homemade chocolate chip cookies.. (think phoebe, "ness layyy tohhllll huas"! :)

anyway.. tonight as i was wrapping my sandwich for tomorrow's lunch in saran wrap (due to my lack of baggies), i was swept back to the memories of working at a suburban swanky golf course/club here in the Twin Cities. If you didn't know this fact about me, you're probably somewhat surprised that i have even stepped foot on a golf course, let alone worked there! :) I was the beer-cart girl as well as a server at the 9th hole refreshment cabin and part of my job was making/wrapping sandwiches! There were elements of this job that I enjoyed and though i would never want to work there again, I am thankful for the experience and all that i learned.

So, tonight as i reminisced the good ol' days "country-bumpkin stuck in a rich man's world of golf"... i recall a story i think you all might enjoy. i was out on the beer cart and some guy flagged me down and hollered something about leaving his sandwich at one of the holes but to check in the pro-shop because someone may have found it and dropped it off. It seemed odd to me that the guy would set his sandwich down at any of the holes instead of in his cart and even more so that he expected someone to pick it up and return it to the pro-shop. nonetheless.. i barely knew enough golf etiquette to know not to drive over the green so i figured i'd better do whatever he said.

Well, there's laura driving around the golf course trying desperately to find this golfer's sandwich.. which i didn't find. frustrated and worried about the time that was quickly elapsing.. i headed over to the pro-shop.. no sandwich there either.

finally I returned to the 9th hole refreshment stand where we made all of these sandwiches. i quickly threw together a new one, guessing at his meat and cheese preference, and took off on a hunt to find him on the back nine. when i did find him.... i smiled my best smile and muttered, "I'm so sorry... I couldn't find your sandwich.. so I made you a new one."

he laughed..... and he laughed...

yes, any of you golfers are probably well aware as to why he was laughing at me.

he finally calmed himself enough so better to explain that it wasn't a sandwich he'd lost, rather, his sand-wedge. ah... the slow and humbled head knod. life can be so humbling, fortunately, its quite entertaining later.

hmm.. I suppose this story will pop into my mind every time I'm out of baggies and wrapping my sandwich in saran wrap. =)

1 comments:

Lovely Laura...
I am so glad you finally BLOGGED! woohoo
I miss you dearly.
Gruber

May 4, 2007 at 8:51 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home