Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

During the early fall of 2002, I went to Williams arena to watch my good friend, Eric (from high school), run in a track meet for the University of Iowa. I had just finished up a busy summer.. I spent a month living back home on the farm, roging the bean field for an allowance and attending class in Davenport to become a nursing assistant, as was required by the College of St. Catherine before I entered the nursing program. In addition, I also had to take Microbiology, Chemistry, upon returning to the cities.

As I sat in the bleachers with Eric's family, that fall, having just started my nursing classes, two of his aunts were excited to hear that I was going to be a nurse, as they both were nurses, as well, and loved their careers. They both strongly suggested that since I had my NA license, I should work as an NA while in nursing school. Hmm.. the idea hadn't really dawned on me and the thought of working at a big city hospital really intimidated me.. but one of his aunts worked at this hospital in St. Paul, so she gave me her e-mail and said that I should let her know if I was interested.

After a little discerning (and probably a lot of conversations with mom), I decided to go for it. I interviewed and was hired. I had no idea.... no idea what joy, pain, growth, happiness, sorrow, humility, frustration, excitement, friendship, and accomplishment I would experience in that building. Looking back, I'm humbled by God's concern for my life and how He has worked through all of these details.

Yesterday was my last day at that hospital.

And though I'm trilled and excited for whatever lies ahead, I'm sad to say good-bye to the people who have been so influential in my career as a nurse... and my journey of life as a person.

One of those people is "Kelly the boy." I met Kelly after my interview with the nurse manager. She took me out to the floor and introduced me to Kelly who had also just started as a nursing assistant with aspirations to be a nurse. That was October of 2002... he trained me in as an NA and we traveled through nursing life together, working as aides, graduating college, take the boards, becoming nurses, novice nurses, chemo certification, giving chemo, failing, succeeding, etc etc.

Kelly has become one of my closest friends and I will miss him... his companionship at the hospital (brightened my entire day just knowing he was there with me), running into him at Shamrocks, going with him to the Nook, strongbows, riding bikes or riding together to work, coffee, wine, religion, politics, front yards, back yards, the world... though our opinions were almost always different on big subjects, we shared in fantastic conversations in which we both walked away better people! oh kelly....

as a going away gift, he gave me a journal with a beautiful poem about friendship by Kahlil Gibran written on the inside. Kelly is truly one of the most loving and kind people I've ever known.

and you wonder why i cry so much! :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our last night at the Nook.. strongbows and frozen pizza!

1 comments:

Isn't it funny how a simple event, conversation, moment can turn your life in a new direction? You probably would have gotten there eventually, but it's nice to know that these moments happen.

May 14, 2007 at 7:02 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home